Sunlight. Camera. Action.
Submissions will be accepted from August 1, 2012 to September 21, 2012, at midnight PST.
We will unveil the finalists on our website on October 2, 2012 and open up the contest to online public voting at this time. Public voting will end on October 16, 2012 and the winners will be announced October 23, 2012. Prizes will be awarded by December 31, 2012.
- Individual entrants and teams must reside in California.
- Team entries are accepted, but the team must have a designated team leader.
- Employees or family members of Environment California are not eligible for this contest.
- Companies, including solar companies, are not eligible for this contest.
- There is no entry fee for this contest.
- Videos should be 30-120 seconds long, including any opening/closing credits.
- One entry allowed per person/team.
- Once selected, we will ask the finalists to include Environment California’s logo and web address at the end of the video.
- As the purpose of the contest is to spread awareness of L.A.’s great potential to harness the power of the sun, bringing clean energy to the City of Angels, videos should be based on the following information/themes:
- Solar power is a no-brainer for Los Angeles, a city famous for its sunshine. Los Angeles should and can become a world-class solar leader generating over a thousand megawatts of sun-powered energy by 2020.
- Solar energy can help Los Angeles reduce air pollution, solve global warming, create energy independence and generate local jobs.
Producers will be given some creative license to alter the theme language if they deem that necessary to tell an interesting and unique story. While it is important for the filmmaker to include the messaging, it is equally critical they tell a story that is exceptional and creative.
Winning entries will meet the following criteria:
Content (10 points)
• The video expresses the central themes about solar energy (listed above)
• The message is clear and easy to understand
Creativity/Originality (15 points)
• The message is communicated in a creative way
• The video is catchy, with the potential to go viral
• The video is unique
Overall Quality (10 points)
• Few or no technical glitches
• Clear picture and audio
Public Support (5 points)
• Number of votes the video receives via online public voting
• Submissions will be posted on the Environment California website.
• However, Environment California reserves the right to post only those submissions that meet our quality and content expectations.
Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three films, as determined by public online voting and a guest panel of Hollywood celebrities and producers. In addition, we will award a "People's Choice Award" to the top public vote getter.
First Prize - $1,500
Second Prize - $750
Third Prize - $250
How to Enter
- Post your video to YouTube, marking the video as “unlisted” in the privacy settings.
- Click here to submit an entry form.
- If you have questions, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.